Monday, January 18, 2010

Oatmeal (Coffee) Stout - Initial Activity

I'm happy to report that there is now some vigorous fermentation taking place in my home. I speak not of the leftovers in my fridge, but of the beer-to-be in my incubator.

(Careful readers will note that I have referred to this contraption as "the freezer", "the beer cooler", and now "the incubator". I have decided to call it "the incubator" from here on out as I feel that is the best description for it.)

100_3909
An inch of krausen and the steady mumble of bubbles indicates that the yeast are doing their thing with gusto.

The fermentation for this beer took longer than I am used to. Usually within 24 hours the fermenter is going crazy. This time it ramped up much more slowly. After about 18 hours it was bubbling every 30 seconds, after 36 hours it was bubbling every 5 seconds, and finally, now, after about 48 hours, it is bubbling constantly. There is nothing wrong with this; it's just different. My guess is that I probably pitched the yeast too cool and maybe did not aerate the wort enough.

Anyway, so far so good. Unless disaster strikes, there won't be much to report for a couple weeks when the fermentation is complete.

Next: First taste?

No comments: