Friday, January 29, 2010

Oatmeal (Coffee) Stout - First Taste

Ok, it's been almost two weeks since brew day, so I took a sample and things are looking good.

100_3912
The sample was more than this, I just drank most of it before I remembered to take a picture.

The specific gravity is currently 1.016, which is a little higher than the 1.012 that the recipe says. However, those keeping score at home will recall that my OG was 1.060, which was 7 points higher than the recipe's OG. So it looks like my ABV will be correct at about 5.7%, but it will be a little sweeter and have a bit more body than it otherwise might have had.

As for taste, it's slightly sweet, but definitely bitter enough to call a stout. It's deeper than I expected at this point, which means it should age very nicely. It has a slightly fruity aroma, but that doesn't come out in the flavor of the beer at all.

Since everything looks good I plan on bottling this weekend. I bought some local dark roast coffee today that I will brew extra strong and add to the bottling bucket. I think two quarts of coffee is my target, so my french press will be mighty busy.

Next: Bottling

No comments: