Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oatmeal Coffee Stout - Bottling

Today was bottling day for the Oatmeal Coffee Stout.

100_3915
The only thing that's missing is bacon, really.

After sanitizing everything, and adding the priming sugar to the bottling bucket, I brewed 16 cups of coffee and poured it, still hot, directly into the bottling bucket. My french press is only 8 cups so I had to do two batches. I used a super dark roast and made the coffee as strong as I could to ensure it comes through in the beer.

100_3922
Why yes, those are four bombers, bottled specifically for BBQs and bad days.

I waited for the coffee to cool and then siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket. Then it was bottling time.

100_3921
Forget paper labels, I'm lazy.

As you can see, bottling was successful. Although, I had some issues with my bottling wand leaking a bit; I probably lost half a bottle or more because of it. It might be time to get a new one. Or move to kegging.

My final yield was 38 12oz. and 4 22oz. bottles, for a total of 4.25 gallons. The ABV is roughly 5.5%.

100_3923
My storage solution, partly thanks to the Container Store.

I found out that the freezer is a quarter inch too small to hold my cardboard boxes, which would be ideal. So I went to the Container Store and managed to find some plastic bins that are pretty much as close as you can get. To be honest, I'm still not completely happy with it as I know I'm not maximizing my packing potential, but it will work for now.

Now I must wait at least 3 weeks before this beer will be drinkable. As usual, there was a half-full bottle, so I'll crack that open in two weeks (or one, if I am impatient) and see how it is.

My next beer will definitely be an IPA, but I'm not sure when I will brew it. I was a little too prolific the last time I brewed so I'm thinking this time I will limit myself to one brew day a month. We shall see.

Next: OCS, Aged 2 Weeks or Brew Day?

No comments: