Thursday, March 6, 2008

Oatmeal Coffee Stout - First Taste

Well, I took a SG reading this morning and it came out at 1.020, which, with an OG of 1.056, indicates an ABV of 4.73%. I plan on bottling on Sunday, assuming the SG hasn't changed much, which I doubt it will.

Right now the beer is more bitter than I was expecting. I know I used 2 oz. of relatively high alpha acid hops, but with my boiling volume (1.5 gal) I calculated the bitterness to be about 27 IBU, which is right in the mid-range of what an oatmeal stout should be. Perhaps I needed to account for the volume of the liquid malt extracts as well? I'm a little disappointed as it pretty much tastes like the imperial stout with the alcohol and bitterness cut in half (although I shouldn't be surprised as the recipes are quite similar). There are some malty/toasty undertones, but they are very subtle. I'm really hoping it mellows out after a few weeks in the bottle. Don't get me wrong here, it's not a bad beer, I'll definitely drink it, I was just hoping for something a little different.

Also, I don't get much coffee flavor at all, so I will be dumping some additional coffee into the bottling bucket to try to boost that flavor.

No comments: