Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oatmeal Coffee Stout - Bottling

I bottled the Oatmeal Coffee Stout on Sunday. The FG was 1.020 and with an OG of 1.056 that gives an ABV of 4.73%. The bottling went smoothly and I ended up with 46 12 oz. bottles.

As far as taste is concerned, it had mellowed somewhat just since I had last tasted it, but it's still more bitter than it should be. I could not detect any coffee flavor so I added another quart of coffee to the bottling bucket. It's going to have to age for several weeks before it hits my desired flavor profile and it may not even get there. Clearly I miscalculated my hops utilization, I'll have to go back and see what it is that I didn't account for so that I don't make this mistake again.

While amassing the empty bottles for this batch, I realized just how much beer I have now--a lot. I've got 12 bottles each of the Dark Ale and Imperial Stout stashed away for graduation, so that's 24. I still have another 12 bottles of the Dark Ale and 19 bottles of the Imperial Stout for my own consumption so that's 45. Add in what I just bottled and you've got 91 bottles of beer. I've got two more batches planned before graduation, so that's going to be roughly 180 bottles of beer when all said and done. I hope people are ready to drink some beer at my graduation.

1 comment:

krisgrif said...

But you have to brew something that the grandmas and I will like to drink!