Monday, May 5, 2008

Scotch Ale - Bottling and Tasting

It seems that I was not vigilant enough with my cooling and at some point the beer got warm enough to start producing fruity esters. It smells rather like banana, however, this is not reflected in the taste. I bottled it last weekend and so cracked open a bottle yesterday just to see how it was doing. Let's just say it needs to age for several more weeks. I don't think I'm going to try it again for another 3 weeks. Right now it's not looking so hot, but aging can do wonders for a beer, so we'll see.

1 comment:

lockmanslammin said...

Nice blog Tristan, I read pretty much the whole thing this morning. I happened upon it with a google search for "armenian imperial stout joy of homebrewing". I have all the ingredients for it waiting for me to get to em'. I think I might add a few pounds of honey, and a couple tablespoons of coarsly crushed black pepper. and dub it "hopper stout".