Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Armenian Imperial Stout - Activity

Just a quick update. The blowoff phase seems to have completed. Even though the krausen is still present and occupies all the head space in the carboy, I have not noticed any further flow out of the blowoff tube. Thus, I have placed the fermentation lock on the carboy and it is merrily bubbling away every 7 seconds or so.

Based on what I've read of this particular strain of yeast (Nottingham), I expected the bulk of fermentation to be done by now as it's supposedly pretty fast. However, there are a lot of fermentables in this batch and because of this I pitched two packages of yeast instead of one, so I think fermentation is going to take somewhat longer. Of course, this isn't a big deal as I was planning on leaving it in the carboy for two weeks regardless.

No comments: